Consulting with Parents / Carers

How we consult with our parents/carers and SEN pupils

Children learn and develop in different ways. Teachers recognise this and use different teaching styles, resources and plan different levels of work in the classroom to cater for the various ways children learn. This is called Quality First Teaching and is expected in schools’ provision for all children. However, many children, at some time in their school life, need extra help.

Because of this we:

  • Recognise that the child’s parent/carer, are the expert on their own child and so we will involve them every step of the way
  • Talk to parents/carers if they think their child has a special need and let them know what school is doing to support their child
  • Have a designated member of staff who is trained as a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) - Mrs S Tew who liaises with parents/carers and pupils with SEND regularly
  • Have a Special Educational Needs Policy
  • Take account of the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice. This is advice given to schools by the Government which outlines what schools should do to support children with SEN and gives recommendations for good practice
  • Have an inclusive ethos where each child and their individual needs are fully understood by all staff


How does the school know how well my child is doing?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • In their Reception year they are assessed based on the Early Learning Goals Ages and Stages.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing, numeracy and science.
  • If your child is not accessing learning at age appropriate levels, they will be assessed using B Squared. This is a tool which shows small but significant steps of progress. This is also used to inform next steps on your child’s SEN Support Plan.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of Year 2 and Year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children with SEND will have a Support Plan which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.
  • The progress of children with an Education, Health and Care Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Outside professionals also provide school with further in depth assessments. These are usually from the Educational Psychologist Service, Learning Difficulties and Disabilities Inclusion Service and Speech and Language Therapist.


We recognise that the child’s parent/carer, are the expert on their own child and so will involve them every step of the way.

We use the following strategies:

  • Have regular meetings and discussions with parents/carers about what we have planned for their child and how to link this with interests and passions demonstrated at home
  • Make close observations during school to identify the types of activities and experiences that most engage each child so these can be developed further and be used inform future planning
  • Views of parents/carers and pupils are included in the support plans
  • Share Support Plans with parents/carers and the evaluations of these plans regularly
  • Involve SEND children with planning their own activities and encouraging them to share what they would like to learn and participate with
  • Extend any resources that they show a preference for
  • Work with an open door policy so any time parents/carers need to talk, we welcome this
  • During Parent's Evening, SENCO will support Class Teacher in working with parents/carers to ensure their views are sought and form part of the assessment and review process of the support plan as well as reviewing their progress towards targets and agreed outcomes
  • Most importantly, ensure the children with SEND are happy, motivated and make expected levels of progress throughout their time in school


What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's achievement? How will I know how well my child is progressing?

Your child will have two formal opportunities at Parents’ Evenings to meet with your child’s class teacher to discuss strengths, weaknesses, progress, etc. Further opportunities to meet with the class teacher can be made throughout the year if you or the class teacher has any further concerns.

A child identified on the SEND register as having SEN Support will also have these same opportunities with the addition of discussing and reviewing targets in the child’s Support Plan. Additional SEN Support meetings may be required throughout the year especially when there is the involvement of outside professionals.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan then they will have reviews on a minimum of a yearly basis to discuss in detail the individual needs of your child and ensuring the right provision is in place.

For some children with SEND a home-school communication book can be a good link for both parties to learn more about your child on a daily basis ranging from any concerns, updates on positive learning and behaviour, etc.


What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?

Your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher. Concerns can be discussed at parents’ evenings which are held twice a year, or by making an appointment to meet with your child’s class teacher at any point throughout the school year.

This information will then can passed on to the relevant staff members within the school.

Class/subject teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Headteacher and SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) know as necessary.
  • Writing Support Plans and sharing and reviewing these with parents/carers at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff members working with your child in school are supported to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s Special Educational Needs Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


SENCO: Mrs Stephanie Tew                                                                

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.


Headteacher: Ms Gaynor Davison

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • She will give responsibility to class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.


SEN Governor: Mrs Claire Linfoot

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


How will the school respond to my concern?

The class teacher will listen to any concerns you may have at a pre-arranged meeting. If your concern cannot be met at that meeting then the class teacher will take some time to look into the concern and liaise with the SENCO/Headteacher of School. A follow up meeting will be arranged to ensure your concern is addressed and to plan any additional support your child may receive. If relevant at this stage, possible referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning will be discussed.

If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher.

You can also refer to the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: 0-25 years’ for statutory guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with SEND and their parents.


How do I get a diagnosis for my child?

Children do not just receive a ‘diagnosis’ of special educational needs. Children will only receive a diagnosis if they have a medical need.

If you are concerned that your child has a medical need such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Autism, you can make an appointment with your General Practitioner expressing your concerns and the need for your child to be referred to the Community Paediatrician. If the referral is accepted, you will receive an appointment with a paediatrician, who will give you further information and an assessment may begin.

If you are concerned that your child has a learning difficulty such as Dyslexia or Dyscalculia, the SENCO can make a referral to our Educational Psychologist, Dr Steph Homewood, or to the Learning Difficulties and Disabilities Inclusion Service who can identify if a child had difficulties consistent with Dyslexia or Dyscalculia and provide advice on how best to support their needs.

If you are concerned that your child has a speech and language difficulty, the SENCO can make a referral to the Speech and Language Therapist. A therapist may then assess and identify if your child has a specific speech and/or language difficulty and provide advice about how best to support their needs.

Referral time can vary depending upon the agency involved. Referrals to the NHS (Community Paediatrics and SALT) take considerably longer, on average it can take between three to four months to receive an appointment. Not all pupils will receive a diagnosis and/or decision. Where diagnoses are made, this can take a considerable time depending upon the individual. In many cases, a diagnosis follows several appointments, which could take more than a year.

With or without a diagnosis we will put support in place for your child. If it is very clear that a pupil has a difficulty we will do everything that we can to support them.

If a diagnosis is made, we will ask advice from the relevant outside agencies about how best to help the pupil. This advice will be identified on the child's Support Plan and shared with you and/or discussed at a meeting. We will put this advice in place straight away or once the relevant resources/equipment have been purchased.


How can I be involved in supporting my child?

You can support your child by attending parents’ evenings, helping them to complete their homework to a good standard and on time, ensuring your child gets to school on time and with all the appropriate equipment, talking to the class teacher if you have any concerns about your child, providing lots of opportunities to speak and have conversations with your child, read and practise number skills. Teachers are more than happy to share any ideas they have with you so you can top up the learning at home.


What support will there be for my child’s emotional and social well-being?

If your child has a long or short term medical illness then please refer to the relevant policies which outline the level of care and support provided at our school.


Please talk to your child’s class teacher or to Ms Davison/Mrs Tew if you have a concern about your child’s emotional and social well-being. We have peer mentors in school that your child could talk to if they have a concern or a worry regarding friendships and social activities.

Our themed assemblies and lessons using our Jigsaw programme framework support the children’s personal development.

information on jigsaw

Outside agencies such as CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service) support within all areas including social, mental and emotional health.

Our school has a Behaviour policy which outlines a positive, consistent approach for all children. Rewards and sanctions can also be personalised to suit a child’s particular needs.

All members of staff have had emergency first aid training, two of which have had Paediatric emergency first aid training.

We offer a wide variety of after school and before school clubs which change termly.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including educational visits?

Your child will be allowed to attend any school club allocated to their specific year group. We endeavour to make all activities accessible for all. Where there may be some extra arrangements to be made you can arrange to meet with the club leader to ensure safety and inclusivity for your child.


How accessible is the school environment? How accessible is the curriculum?


Our school has a wide range of PCs, laptops and iPads/Tablets that can be used for a certain purpose or for a certain need of a child. All classrooms have access to this technology. Specific equipment and software will be purchased for children with individual needs.


The building is accessible to children with physical disabilities via ramps from all external doorways. There is also a disabled toilet in school inside our access changing room which has intimate care facilities including a hoist and changing table. There are two disabled parking spaces.

School's Accessibility Plan for 2021-2024


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions about our SEND Local Offer please contact the school and we will try our best to help you.

Contact Us